Thursday, August 26, 2010

What am I up to?

I'm going to do my best to make the kickoff post an interesting read, else people probably just skim it over, say "that's nice" and then go off to some other site.
Probably the best direction to go is to answer the most common question people ask when they meet, being "What have you been up to?". This question usually includes things like job status, school status, future plans, do I have a girlfriend yet, among other things.
Sure you could probably go to facebook and find out the "what" for this stuff, though in this post I'd like to take the time to share the other w's. Not only as a chance for people to know, but also by typing this I think it's a good way I can evaluate these things for myself.
Feel free to drop comments!

"So how's the job?"
I'm still working at Heritage Christian Services, which is at a group home for people with mental disabilities. I work there as relief, which means any open shifts I am free to take or leave, and as such it's ideal for my constantly changing lifestyle. During college I could work on weekends, breaks, and summers. When there weren't enough hours there I picked up full time work and was still able to work at Heritage on my days off. When I got laid off or got hours cut from my full time jobs, I could still maintain a steady income by picking up more shifts at Heritage. Not to mention, I love working there.
Also since February I'd been working at Kimmins Coffee with Alex G, which is a delivery service centered around coffee products and those big 5 gallon water bottles that you plug into coolers. It was a great job, Monday through Friday 8 to 4:30 with the occasional opportunity to leave early if the day's work was done. As good a job as it was, I couldn't see myself doing it forever, and I didn't want to just leave college at the Associate's degree.

"So what about college?"
After officially graduating MCC in 2009 I took 2 years off from college trying to decide what I wanted to do for the future. I didn't want to put in all kinds of time, money, and effort until I had a clear direction and the motivation to know it was going to be worth it. The first year I took off, I got stuck rooming with some numbskilled twats -- I'll probably expand on this in a later post -- basically I learned what I DIDN'T want to be.
After the lease was up I moved into Aaron C's new house, rooming with him and Jesse C. Aaron, having been in the Army - not to mention Iraq - gave me a good deal of input on the military, and answered a lot of questions that I had if I ever wanted to join. At this point I became aware of the ROTC and how it worked, and it sparked some interest. Basically, ROTC is few extra classes of physical training and about being a leader in the military, as well as a couple weeks of training during the summer. These are taken while being a full time student, and usually over the course of 4 years; or less for people who are more ambitious. Upon completion of the ROTC you have a Bachelor's degree, and begin your official time in the military as a Second Lieutenant.

So, one guy I worked with at Kimmins had served in Vietnam and had been in the Air Force and Army, now retired. He looked me with a straight face and said "The Air force is the best thing you can do with your life"
I looked more into the air force, did some research and asked other people who'd been in the Air force. It seemed an almost unanimous thumbs up from everyone I talked to. I found that there was an ROTC program at RIT, and that I could do that program while attending Roberts Wesleyan college (where it seems every Christian in Rochester attends). After putting the pieces together, praying, taking advice from people I respect, I really feel this is something worth pursuing.

With that in mind, I quit Kimmins and moved back to my mom's. As of August 30th I'll be starting my 3 year journey taking Roberts Wesleyan and ROTC hand in hand, with a direction and a hope that it'll lead somewhere that I can be more than an average Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment