Breakfast is without a doubt my favorite meal. Usually if I'm in a hurry it'll be a simple bowl of cereal or some toast, though on occasion I'll pull out all the stops and make something really awesome. Usually it's my way to celebrate a day off, get ready for an especially stressful day, or just to change it up and have something nice once in a while.
I think it all started when I was in elementary school; At the time we were living in the English Village apartments, and things were pretty tight with my mom being single, and getting almost no child support from my father - but every Friday we started up a tradition where she'd make us both eggs and jelly toast for breakfast, and we called it a "special breakfast". Other people may have thought differently about such a tradition, but to a kid like me it totally rocked my socks. I think even 15 some years later and in college, it's kind of stuck.
I think what kept it going was what we called "Epic band breakfasts" when I hung out at Jon Carr's, which was quite often. He's have it with his band groupies the morning after they practice, and it eventually carried over to any friend that spent the night. Pretty much, it was a slew of eggs, bacon, cheese, any spices we could find, and any other random meat-type items that might be good. We'd cook em all together in one pan and serve it up. A bit later the tradition was shifted to eating at the diner nearby Jon's house, and later to breakfast diners in general. I think where the current tradition picked up is when we realized how much money we could save by making it ourselves - but since then we've become too busy to uphold the tradition together. Despite that, I've maintained it myself, and occasionally whoever else is around.
Morning time in general I really like as it's like a "calm before the storm" of a day full of potential. After taking a hot shower I'll put on some music and take inventory on what stuff I have that I can make breakfast out of. If nothing else there's always eggs and toast, and I try to keep a constant supply of taters and pancake mix around. If I'm really prepared I'll have some bacon in there too. Bacon is one of the greatest God-given foods to man, and life would be a lot less happy without it.
Making the breakfast is half the experience. I like taking the time as a chance to think, pray, and get in a positive attitude to face the day, even if there's nothing in particular to look forward to.
I'll start out by putting on music, depending on my mood I'll be listening to anything from metal to ska to Fernando Ortega. Taters take the longest so I start on them first; peel em and chop em, plunk em in a pan. Start up on the pancake mix, and if there's chocolate chips around I'll add those. Once the bacon hits the pan then the smell of breakfast officially hits the air.
Last but not least I'll put a put a pot of hot water on the burner for tea. Now, I have no problem with coffee, I just don't drink it that much. Also, given the choice I like tea better - it's a lot easier to make, especially while I'm flippin pancakes taters and bacon all at the same time.
Once it's all done I sit down with my plate full of flavorful goodness and pick up in my devotional, whatever chapter that might be; lately I've been going through 1 Chronicles. I'll also have my mini laptop on the table and I'll check up on the ol' Facebook, so as to maintain contact with all the awesome people in my life that I never see often enough.


YAY taters!
ReplyDeletebacon is awesome!
ReplyDelete